ENG vs NZ ODI Match Prediction & Betting Tips, Cricket World Cup 2023
The 2023 Cricket World Cup gets underway on Thursday at 14:00 local time at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad. The venue, with a capacity of 132,000, is an appropriate place for the start of this competition and we have the two finalists from the 2019 tournament going head to head in Match 1. England and New Zealand played out a classic match in July 2019 at Lord’s which ended in a tie before England won the tied Super-over due to a higher number of boundaries during the main part of the game! Read on as we preview this opening clash of this year’s World Cup.
England are the holders of this World Cup as well as the T20 World Cup and have one of the best batting line-ups in the tournament. They will expect a tough match but will be confident of victory over New Zealand.
New Zealand have once again brought a strong squad to a World Cup but they have struggled against England in this format in recent times. We expect them to be competitive but they will need to be at their best to win.
England vs New Zealand ODI Match Live Streaming
TV channels: This game will be broadcast on Sky Cricket, Sky Sports NZ, Willow TV and Star Sports
Live Streaming: You can live-stream the match on Disney+ Hotstar and Sky Go
ENG vs NZ Match Toss Prediction
The last two ODIs at this venue have been won by the team batting first. As a result, we predict that both captains will choose to bat first if they win the toss ahead of this match.
ENG vs NZ Pitch Report
The pitch at Narendra Modi Stadium offers a good contest between bat and ball and we do not expect a par score to be any higher than 320. There will be movement off the surface for the quick and spin bowlers.
Spin bowlers can try to fetch some wickets in the 2nd innings as the pitch starts getting slow. Out of a total of 26 ODIs here, 14 have been won by team batting first and 12 have been won by the chasing team.
Ahmedabad Weather Report
There is no danger of rain interrupting this match in Ahmedabad. According to the forecast, the temperature will peak at 33 degrees but will not drop below 26 degrees by the end of the game.
Read on for team previews, betting tips, latest odds, and match prediction for England vs New Zealand, World Cup 2023
England Team News & Playing 11
England Team News
The holders come into the tournament with only Jofra Archer, who has come to India as a travelling reserve, unavailable from the squad. Ben Stokes has managed his knee injury well over the English summer but he is still doubtful for England’s first fixture. Harry Brook might get a chance in place of Ben Stokes.
England Team Key Players
- Jonny Bairstow - The 34 year old right-handed opener has scored 23 international centuries with 11 coming in this format. He always scores his runs at a strong strike-rate. Bairstow has a good experience of playing in India due to the IPL. He has scored 324 runs in 9 ODIs in India and in the IPL he has an impressive average of 35.86 in 39 matches so far.
- Joe Root - The experienced all format former England Test skipper has added to his attacking game over recent years. He is a very adaptable player. Joe Root has an average of 48.79 and if we talk about only Indian grounds then Root has scored 295 runs in 6 innings at an aggressive average of 59.00. This might be his last World Cup and he is sure to give it all in.
- Moeen Ali - Moeen Ali also has ample experience of playing on the Indian tracks. He showed his comfort here in the warm-up match against Bangladesh where he smashed 56 runs off 39 deliveries which included 6 sixes. Along with his reliability in the middle-order, Moeen Ali also comes as a handy spin option as well.
England Key Batsmen Stats
- Adil Rashid - This could well be the final World Cup for the right-arm leg-spinner. He has developed into a very consistent and reliable player for his country. Adil Rashid can be a dark horse for England in this World Cup as he has the spin abilities which suit the Indian pitches. All the cricket fans know how many times he has toppled Virat Kohli. Rashid has picked 184 wickets in 126 ODIs so far and has an economy of 5.67.
- Reece Topley - Reece Topley showed his good form in the warm-up match against Bangladesh. He picked 3 wickets in 5 overs at an impressive economy of 4.60. Topley has picked 38 wickets in 26 ODIs so far in his career.
- Mark Wood - Mark Wood is all about lethal pace and this player can rip apart any batting line-up on his good day. Mark Wood has picked 71 wickets in 59 ODI matches out of which 5 wickets came in 2 matches in India. Wood also played IPL this year in the LSG team and he took 11 wickets in just 4 fixtures.
England Key Bowlers Stats
England Team Form
England have not lost any of their last five ODIs with series wins over Ireland and New Zealand.
Recommended: Place bets on Cricket with Dafabet Mobile App
England Predicted Playing 11
Jonny Bairstow, Dawid Malan, Joe Root, Ben Stokes/Harry Brook, Jos Buttler (wk) (c), Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Adil Rashid, Reece Topley
New Zealand Team News & Playing 11
New Zealand Team News
As he continues to still be a little short of full fitness, captain Kane Williamson will not play in this opening match of the World Cup 2023 and keeper-batter Tom Latham will skipper the side. Tim Southee is also expected to miss this game as he is still experiencing pain from his dislocated thumb operation.
New Zealand Key Players
- Devon Conway - The left-handed opener has taken brilliantly to international cricket over the last couple of years. He also impressed in India during the 2023 IPL for Chennai Super Kings. Devon Conway is expected to score in big numbers in this World Cup. Conway has scored 874 runs in 22 ODIs at an average of 46.00. Coming to his experience in India, Conway played for CSK in the IPL 2023 and smashed 672 runs in 16 matches at an average of 51.69. He smashed a knock of 78 runs off 73 deliveries against South Africa in the warm-up match.
- Daryl Mitchell - The batting all-rounder has become one of New Zealand’s most indispensable players across all formats. He averages over 50 from his last six ODI innings. Daryl Mitchell looks in good touch currently. He scored 59 runs against Pakistan in the warm-up match and also provided the team with a decent bowling option as well. In 29 ODIs, Mitchell has scored 1025 runs and picked 13 wickets. Daryl Mitchell will be a key all-rounder for the New Zealand team. He lacks little experience of playing here but he looks confident.
- Tom Latham - Tom Latham will lead the side in the 1st fixture for NZ. The wicket-keeper batsman has scored 3797 runs in 134 ODIs out of which he smashed 475 runs in 11 matches in India at an average of 52.77. Latham is a reliable batsman and his gameplay style fits perfectly in the ODI squad.
New Zealand Key Batsmen Stats
- Trent Boult - The 34 year old left-arm fast medium bowler has been in excellent form over the last couple of months and took figures of 3-37 and 5-51 against England during September. Trent Boult needs no explanation for being a key bowler. He will be the key pacer for New Zealand till the time he is in the team. Boult is just 3 wickets away from reaching the 200-wicket mark in ODIs. He has picked more than 100 wickets in the IPL as well which gave him a good experience of Indian pitches.
- Matt Henry - Matt Henry is another pacer along with Trent Boult who is currently among the top 10 bowlers in the ICC ODI rankings. Matt Henry has taken 130 wickets in 75 ODIs but he does not have much experience of Indian tracks. He has just played 2 ODIs here in which he picked 3 wickets.
- Mitchell Santner - Another Kiwi player with a good experience of turning the ball well on the Indian pitches and he also comes as a handy batsman who can score some crucial runs for the team. The left-arm all-rounder has scored 1252 runs and picked 91 wickets in 94 ODI matches.
New Zealand Key Bowlers Stats
New Zealand Team Form
New Zealand were second best against England last month but responded well with wins away in Bangladesh.
New Zealand Predicted Playing 11
Will Young, Devon Conway, Tom Latham (c) (wk), Daryl Mitchell, Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner, James Neesham, Rachin Ravindra, Trent Boult, Matt Henry
England vs New Zealand Head to Head
Remarkably, after 95 ODIs between the two sides, both teams have beaten the other 44 times. However, in recent times, England have been beaten only once from the last seven ODI clashes against New Zealand.
ENG vs NZ Head to Head Stats in ODIs
Recommended: Detailed Head to Head Stats of ENG vs NZ
England vs New Zealand Betting Odds
After their 3-1 series win over New Zealand last month, it is England who are favourites to win at 1.44 with the bookies. The Black Caps can be backed at 2.50.
Recommended: Best Cricket betting odds to place your bets with top online betting sites
Who will win England vs New Zealand ODI Match?
Although New Zealand do have a group of very talented players with both the bat and the ball, we think England have more strength across their side and we have them as the top team in this 2023 World Cup opener.
England vs New Zealand Prediction
It has been over four years since the 2019 Cricket World Cup Final and fans from across the world are very excited about the start of this tournament. Neither team are the favourites to win the competition although England are expected to go very far. For this game, we are predicting a close contest with some nerves on both sides to begin the 2023 World Cup. We expect New Zealand to cause England problems, particularly when Trent Boult is bowling, but overall we are predicting England’s batting to be too strong. We are backing England to win on Thursday.